Tuesday 28 August 2007

Dodging Heisenberg

Feeding the ducks, Neckarsteinach, Germany, July 2007

Although often misrepresented (as I'm doing) the whole point of Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle is that the act of measurement changes the thing being measured (actually, that we can't perfectly know everything about a particle) . Whilst not quite quantum physics, photography has that effect on people: point a camera in their direction and their behaviour changes to suit.

When taking photos of people, especially out and about (street photography), I'm looking to catch "true" moments - the unaware shot as of a distant observer. Personally I'm not a fan of the photographer being part of the action, I prefer to be photographer as observer. For me it's about how others interact with one another, not how they interact with me.

Maybe it's not too far from particle physics after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I like comments, especially constructive ones.
Comments get emailed directly to me before publishing , so if you want to get in touch drop a comment.
All comments moderated by me before being published, keeps the spam at bay.