Friday 24 August 2007

Photographic success

Rock Face, Elbow Valley, Alberta, Canada, August 2007

Now that I'm largely over the jet lag and had a chance to go through some of the shots I took while I was away, I've been reflecting on the photographic success of the trip.

For me there were 2 aspects to this.

Firstly were the great new locations. On recommendation, I spent some time at Elbow Valley Falls and then an evening & morning at Dinosaur Provincial Park. 2 great locations for photography, new to me and quite unique to Alberta (IMO). I could happily spend a lot more time around both areas taking pictures and exploring (on bike or foot). I'm glad I've got another trip to Calgary coming up - more opportunity to get back to some of the places I didn't have time for this time around.

The second area of success was on the technical front. I found I'm got (and continue to realise) a much higher percentage of good shots than ever before. For me, the big improvement has come from my findings on the histogram (see The great EOS metering test). I now get very few over-exposed shots when exposing to the right and I'm better able to target brackets (for HDR work or uncertain mixed lighting). There is some experience factor in there but not enough to make up the difference.

I also feel I'm taking better pictures: better balance of light and subject. That is, of course, all part of the on going journey of development.

Over then next few days, I'll post some of the results.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I like comments, especially constructive ones.
Comments get emailed directly to me before publishing , so if you want to get in touch drop a comment.
All comments moderated by me before being published, keeps the spam at bay.