Monday 22 October 2007

First roll of black and white

Crane, Canary Wharf, London, July 2007

In all the years I've had cameras and taken photos I've not, until recently, actually used B&W film. Mostly, I suppose, because I was part of the happy-snapper crowd.
Well I finally got round to turning the roll I shot this summer into final images. I was using Ilford HP5 plus 400 so that I had plenty of scope for flash-free photography. I loaded it into my old SLR with a 50mm lens.

2 things surprised me about the outcome - first is that I can take decent photos with black and white. I was consciously thinking of shapes and forms. For the people shots, I'd probably have converted colour to B&W anyway. The second surprising thing was the distance to subject that worked best. normally with a 50mm I think middle distances, say 10-100m (first of the examples below). With this film, however, it was the close-up that worked best. Maybe a result of detail overcoming grain, but I can't really be certain. Anyway, here are some of the results:




No comments:

Post a Comment

I like comments, especially constructive ones.
Comments get emailed directly to me before publishing , so if you want to get in touch drop a comment.
All comments moderated by me before being published, keeps the spam at bay.